Friday, February 6, 2009

my sweet ride, RIP

first of all, i'd like to say that yesterday was an amazing day for me, even including what the majority of this blog will be about. i got to meet an awesome family and have dinner with them, which was a great time. i also got to go to the blues game, and they went to a shootout! even though they lost, it didn't take away from my awesome dinner. and the hit and run driver that totaled my car also did not take away from the dinner OR the blues game.

getting straight to the point, ben and i were in the living room of his place, participating in the best activity ever, where i get to relax and get warm and cozy under a blanket while he reads a really good book to me. (seriously, how awesome, right?) we hear quite a commotion come from outside, and casually decide to check it out. what was it? it was some dude (or dudette, not sure) plowing into my car. my sweet sweet ride was parked on the side of the road. this dude(tte) came around the corner apparently pretty fast, and plowed into the right rear end of my vehicle, which threw the front end of my car into the van in front of me. let's just say that when ben moved it out of the middle of the street, it was discovered that the back right tire is impaled with metal and does not want to move.

so, my car that everyone always said looked like me? i hope someone doesn't see it now and say "geez, that car looks like you" because i would hope on my worst day that i wouldn't look that bad. also, since my car is 10 years old, i only had liability coverage, so no need to turn a claim into the insurance company. it won't be covered.

and because i have endless optimism, i'd now like to point out why it's a-ok that this happened:
- everything happens for a reason. it's not my reason, it's God's reason. while i don't know what that reason is now, and i perhaps will not ever know this reason, i will say that i'm fine with that.
- no one was in or around the accident scene at the time it occurred, so i'm very thankful that no one was hurt.
- i guess my dad and i get to go look at cars. i'm a minimalist, so i'll take whatever car i can get a deal on. but it will be quality time with my father and i. we're both pretty busy, so this is a good thing.
- i was dreading the fact that when i sold the car, i would have to remove and subsequently replace the new and old head units and speakers. now i can just rip them out and go on my way.
- now i can really clean out my car.
- i can sell my baby to a junkyard and get a little cash for it.
- the trunk hasn't opened in about a year. i was hoping that the dude(tte) that hit the back right panel would have popped the trunk open. no such luck, but THAT would have been hilarious.
- i'll have a vehicle with a new car smell.
- i only had a half tank of gas as opposed to a full tank.

so, there's my list of good things that should go through your head when something like this happens to you (which i hope it never does).

don't get me wrong. at a point last night, that endless optimism was running on empty. good thing is that it never ran out of gas.
=)
here is a shot of the car from every side. the dude(tte) hit me from the right, and plowed my front end into a van that was in front of me.


4 comments:

  1. Hey babe! Glad you're okay but sometimes it's hard to let go of our beloved cars so it's nice that God helps us... :o)

    I adore you... have I mentioned that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i adore you as well. =) and thanks. things are never in our hands, but i prefer them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're exactly right. Everything does happen for a reason. Now you get a new car or join the Metro club!
    There is a lesson to be learned here. No more time off work! J/K.

    ReplyDelete